Friday, July 6, 2012

Early July Ranch Ramblings - "A Tragic Comedy in Two Parts" (Part One)


PART ONE - "Courage is not the absence of fear or despair but the ability to conquer them."


The past Canada Day Long Weekend gifted us with beautiful weather for tending to various ranch chores. My neighbour and his granddaughter graciously dropped by to help me install another electric fence and patch up some more fencing so I could move the Lulu B. Bovines and bulls to mow down my pasture on the east side of the entrance. After, Rook and Ash helped "moo've" the herd to their new grazing zone, I potted a few plants to splash up the homestead with a bit of flora.

Next up "on our planet of chores" was to cut the grass in the yard where the deck is an "off-limit- to-beef zone." The Canaan Crew was particularly delighted to view the aftermath of their freshly cut yard . They decided it was a good hang-out to relax and groom themselves after getting down and dirty "moov"ing the herd through some sloughs.


In the evening, the cries of the coyotes were almost too over-powering, so I let the crew out for the entire night to keep the predators at bay. In the morning I noticed that the crew was frantically racing between two zones - the one closest to the home where the herd takes refuge from the sun and the furthest grazing zone at the end of the quarter. As I ventured out to check the fencing and do the routine head count of the herd I started to get annoyed at the dogs since they were preventing the herd from going into this one shaded area. As I rode out on my quad I noticed a Lulu had drowned in a new bog in the zone that that the dogs were feverishly protecting. My first loss on the ranch. I should have listened more closely to the crew who had worked all night to alert and keep off the coyotes from the carcass. 


 CLICK HERE for PART TWO - "How Ash Saved Me from spending more money on getting a new cell phone!"


Below are a few snapshots from the past weekend of my Crew and my friend Denise's Crew whom we visited after her branding session on her ranch in Markerville. 


The herd grazing under the ocean-wide skies

Rook and Ash tending to the herd so we can  "moo've them to their next grazing zone

Adding a bit of  splash to our yard fencing

Master Rook inspects the quality of my craftsmanship 

Our amphibian friend  

Master Rook takes a break from his busy schedule to pose  with a new deck plant with our Guard Bear "Jasper"


"These Boots Where Made for Walking! 






Denise's young steers after their branding session sporting their  "Smiley face" brands:-)

Denise's Aussie Boy "Blue"
And her Aussie gal Miss "Maddy"

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle - sorry about your cow! Beautiful photos as usual. Your place is looking great. Never a dull moment eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, a sad and expensive loss but that's life, eh? You will have to come by for a visit before our summer ends and when we both have some time!

      Cheers
      from me and the Crew to your Crew!

      Delete
  2. Hi rancher woman!Blue and Maddy are thrilled to be on your blog.Even Maddy with her usual dirty face.Can't wait to see part two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rancher woman! It is a pleasure to have your Aussie Crew on my blog - such wonderful dogs and great cattle pooches! Next time I visit,I will have to get a photo session of your other dog Miss Mary Jane - she is such a sweetheart. BTW - nice looking herd you have too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your splash of color on the homestead and as usual you have some gorgeous photos. Too bad about your cow :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Master Rook is a reliable “cowdog buddy”, isn’t he? LOL! Maintaining a ranch is not that easy, but if you love what you’re doing, you would not mind it at all. From all your tasks, herd grazing seems to be the most relaxing thing to do. All you need to do is look over your cows, and you Rook to help you with the job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...