Thursday, June 7, 2012

The "Crew" & "Their Lulu B. Bovines"


My friend Catherine has affectionately named my new herd of black Angus cattle “Lulu B. Bovines”. Apparently there is a new red wine on the market called “Lulu B” that is hardy and full-bodied, and she felt the description was ideal for my purebred “beef”. I could not agree more.

My young “Lulu B’s” are getting accustomed to the presence of my stock savvy crew as they learn to be “dog-broke”. The crew’s experience working free-range cattle over the past years greatly helps in the management and care of my new herd.

For the most part, the crew has to maintain a quiet and respectful disposition around the stock unless I need a helping paw. This morning's chores entailed collecting various buckets that had blown into one of the shaded areas for the herd after last night's Thunder storm. The "Lulu B's" were clustered among the trees where the buckets had landed. I put Miss Ash to work to move the herd out to one of the watering holes as they would not budge for me. Ash said "no worries", as she skillfully approached the 30 heifers and drove them out of my way down to one of the sloughs. 

Ash picked a shaded area to watch over the herd while I went to town for groceries with Rook and Cybelle. She remained in her tending position when I returned just as our Maccabee had done over the years when keeping watch over our neighbour's herd.

All is as it should be among the beasts - each performing their duties with harmony and respect.

Miss Ash keeps watch over her Lulu B. Bovines

One of the Lulu B's makes an appearance. I named her "Fefe" because she was born with Frozen Ears

Ash getting ready to move the gals out of the trees and into the pasture so I can collect my artifacts - thanks Ash! A trained stockdog certainly makes chores much easier!

She always has a thoughtful approach to working stock

Ash in the driver's seat moving the herd out from the trees to the slough for a drink
The Lulu B's quenching their thirst


This seems to be Ash's lookout post for the day

Our hardy and full-bodied gals are making themselves at home

This is our county's plane that flies over the rural areas checking for forest fires. The pilot usually does a little air show when I happen to be outside and wave.

"Hey Boss, the plane, the plane!"

8 comments:

  1. Good looking Lulu B's. What a great name for your herd. They look like they have some lush pasture to eat...and a few dandilions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics! I love that Ash dog. Congrats on your next step M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you are so proud of Ash as she does the job for you now... all that training finally paying off
    Congrats on the cattle and your working dogs ... Now you have a cattle ranch! Dreams do come true ... With a lot of hard work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Annabel, Lynn and Donna! Thanks for your comments - yes, all the hard work in setting up the ranch, and having trained stock dogs is paying off. More hard work and adventures as we forge ahead. Stay tuned for young Rook's ranch chores that he performed a day ago - he is one tough and natural stockdog on cattle - oh how I love my Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Lulu B" wine is good with beef is it? I think you may have to prove it to me LOL
    Grats on the cows, Ash is doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Andrea, yes it is:-) When you get your Canaan pup you, Ryan and I will have to toast with a good bottle of Lulu B and a steak on the ranch:-)

    I could not agree more - my Ash is quite the gal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle these are such nice photos...What a beautiful landscape you have chosen. Cattle are pretty impressive and your dog works them well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jerry! Yes, the CD crew are managing the herd well when I need them.

    Cheers from my CD crew to your CD crew!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...