Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Timeless Tuesday (Sistahs "Ash" & "LL" - The Journey from Montana to Alberta)

Country Canaan Sistahs!

In keeping with my dedication to pick a Tuesday each week to pause (paws) and remember a moment in time with the desert crew, here is my next installment for "Timeless Tuesday".

Today's "Time Machine" takes us back to March 2009 when Larry and I welcomed our third addition to the "crew", Miss D&J Ha'Aretz Northern Alchemy "Asherah".


Before making her way to her new home in Raven, Alberta, Ash stayed with Annabel and Adam Lombard on their ranch in beautiful Fromberg, Montana. Ash flew from Du Quoin, Illinois with her litter mate “Lacy Lue” to make the flight more comfortable. We had planned to meet across the Montana border when the weather was fit for driving. In the meantime, Annabel and her family took care of little Miss Ash while we waited for our blizzards to subside. Ash got to hang out with sistah "LL" for a few extra weeks and enjoy all the action on a Montana ranch.  Since it was lambing season, she was introduced to her first woolie creatures, a beagle-mix named Trixie, an older Canaan male named Jake, chickens , and barn cats. We couldn’t have asked for a better early adventure for our new girl! Thank you Annabel and Adam, and of course, sistah Lacey-Lue, aka "LL"!

"Ash" In Montana With SISTAH "LL" ( Some pics of the sistahs from Annabel)


Asherah “Ash” (left) with Montana litter mate sister "Lacey Lue", aka “LL" (right). I remember when Annabel sent this pic – she was sure to note that the girls were not riding shotgun in the truck. They are parked in the pasture.I think this is where Ash got her love for trucks. Ash was definitely destined to be a country Canaan like her Montana Sistah "LL".
Ash on top with sister LL taking a pup break on Annabel's lap
The sisters keep an eye on the new lambs with Trixie and some human friends


Ash's First Introduction to Life on her Alberta Ranch with Crew Members Master "Macc" & Miss "Cybelle"


Welcome to your new home Miss Ash!
Ash's first Alberta expedition - here she is exploring the big "white" world on the range where only cattle fencing exists and winter sticks around for a very long time. "Wait", she says " I think I see something over there!" 
I think I will just approach with quiet feet and not disturb the "Big Macc" from his watch duty.  
I guess, I should just sit and do whatever this big guy is doing. He is very big, doesn't talk much and seems so serious
"Ok, I think my butt was getting cold so I think I will try and pass him since he kinda looks like he is catching a wink on the job. Look at me below  - I think I can do this watchdog thing!"


Boy does this guy take his watchdog job seriously to heart – he isn’t even aware of my presence and has not inched a step – ok, now is my chance to go off to explore more! 
Ash and Cybelle getting to know one another
Cybelle  whispers to Ash the secrets on how to be an effective Canaan mouser – she says the bosses like when we are on rodent patrol – just one of our tasks.
Cybelle supervises Ash's training on rodent patrol
"Look at me! I am hunting on my own!"
Ash’s first solo hunt – her early training tips from Cybelle paid off! 
"Ok, what is next on the agenda?"
Larry introduces Miss Ash to her first driving lesson
"Ok, boss, I am ready for my next challenge!"
"Do I have to pull that?"
"Ok, it is a bit higher up than the quad but at least I am not afraid of heights! - wait is that a moose I see over yonder?"
Rest break for the crew– well, at least for Larry and Macc. Miss Ash was now on watchdog alert! Macc in his sphinx repose beside the boss. Below, Miss Ash dines on her raw diet. 

Ash says “ I think I am fitting in nicely with this crew – don’t cha think? 

She certainly "fit" in nicely with our Crew. And, when she was old enough she was introduced to her first ranch chores on free-ranging cattle. She along with the rest of the crew emerged into great working stockdogs.

"Ash" working alongside crew member "Cybelle" when we needed to move the herd to their next rotational graze zone
Like the rest of the crew, she became a natural at heading off any bossy gals when needed to be moved
Learning to respect mama and calf when feeding
She has turned out be a pretty amazing gal - "beauty and brains" with a great work ethic in both stockdog and tracking tasks.
And she has turned out to be a great "watchdog" - I guess her early training from "Macc" also paid off:-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, LL is honored to be featured in your blog. Ash was a great guest and we love to hear what she is doing. Both girls have turned out well and went to the right homes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Sistah "Ash" is honoured to have "LL" featured on her crew's blog! I am glad that Ash was a good guest when she stayed with her Montana crew. I agree, the "sistahs" definitively went to the right homes and are living it up as "country gals".

      Cheers
      Michelle and the Raven, AB Crew

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...