Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rook's Ranch Chores

Silent, Strong, Solid & Savvy!


My youngest Crew member has inherited his sire "Maccabee's" silent and strong work ethic. Although he is only one- and -half -year's old, this "Rookie" can get the job done in a quick and clean fasion. Just like his pop, Rook  uses a "no-bark" policy when managing his stock. This silent work ethic is an added bonus since it lessens the stress  when gathering and moving the stock for the rancher.


Yesterday morning I had to take some salt blocks out for our "Lulu B. Bovines". I always take a crew member with me because some of the Lulu's can be a bit aggressive since they are still getting acquainted with my presence. I still need to get a new battery for my quad, so I walked the mile with my wheel barrow to select a spot for the blocks. The Lulu B's curiosity was peaked as they peered through the poplars and began to move out and head for the hillside. As Rook inspected the blocks, I noticed one of the head Lulu's pawing at the ground. Not wanting any conflict between human and "beef",I made a B-line for the electric fence to the north and rolled under to avoid the bovine brigrade charging my way. Safe behind my barrior I prepared Rook for his first task of the day. "No worries boss", he said as I sent him out to gather and hold the stock in place so I could finish the rest of my chores. As most of you know, I am usually never without my SLR Canon camera.


Below are some snapshots of my Rookie boy at work - Thanks buddy! Your pop would be proud!

Rook in the salt mines

The Lulu B Brigade

Charging
Rook takes his "Get Out" command

outrun
gather
gather
Border Control
Border Control
Border Control
Border Control
Keeping Watch

That'll do boy!


2 comments:

  1. Great Pictures! Glad you made it out of harms way!
    Wow, Rook sure is growing up, just in these pictures he doesn't have much of that puppy look to him anymore. Such a handsome big boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea! Yes, Rook is growing up into a fine handsome and wonderful stockdog! But, he still likes to act like a snuggle pup with visitors:-)

    Yesterday, the crew's two bulls arrived - stay tuned for more adventures with the crew on their ranch.

    And I will send you the raw diet menu!!

    Cheers
    Michelle and the Crew

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...