Friday, October 26, 2012

Sense & Sensibilities of A Young Cow Dog (Part Two)

Life on the Ranch isn't always pretty


Our Lulu B #12 passed away from pneumonia. Under the vet's suggestion we treated her the best we could with antibiotics and lots of lukewarm water. I visited with her around 2 am on her bed of hay and she drank from her pail and willingly took some pats from me and even a bit of a nuzzle. But, in the early morning when the crew and I awoke she had passed away on her bed of hay. The coyotes were already visiting so my neighbour and I roped her and brought her to the bone yard.


It is reciprocal out here when helping one another with losses and celebrating gains. The bone yard is a necessary spot in which the predators can dine on the remains. It is a double-edged sword. My crew wants to protect the carcass, but at the same time the quicker you allow the demise of the remains the better. Dealing with wild life is part of the ecosystem. If we are to try and kill off every predator, I might as well sit in a tent and stay out in the pasture for eternity. I have chosen to allow both the dogs and predators to thrive to keep a balance - and yes, you need predator savvy dogs to help you in this balance.

Young master "Rook" was the most distressed of the crew. He laid on her bed of hay and stayed there for two days watching out for predators until I begged him to come inside the home and allow the coyotes to dine.

BELOW ARE SOME RAMBLING  PICTURES OF OUR LONG AND BITTERSWEET WEEK. And "Baby its cold outside!" But, the desert dogs don't give a rat's ass, but I do, so come inside and take your chill out beside the nice and cozy fire.


Master Rook keeps watch on Lulu's bed of hay
Rook says "boss,  I am staying here and keeping watch" 

Even though I am tired I am staying out here to keep watch
I am still keeping watch
I am still keeping watch but need a bit of rest
The coyotes are a coming - better go!
Ash says  "I see them too, I am coming with you Rook!"
On the look out for predators
Chasing off the predators
keeping watch
keeping watch
Time for some sleep even though he keeps watch and listens for the predators

good boy - catch some much-needed sleep
you too Miss Ash
The duo on alert again
 Rook says "look  how obedient I am sitting at the door, can I please go out and  keep the coyotes off Miss Lulu # 12?" Sorry, buddy, we need them to do their work too.
Rookie poses with my BD card from rancher pal Denise who stopped by to commiserate with our loss
And the cattle are a'grazing, and life goes on

Although I am not fan of allowing dogs on furniture, sometimes I make exceptions:-) Miss Cybelle , the diva of the pack catches up on her sleep as well. She kept my bed nice and warm.

CLICK HERE to View PART ONE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...