Monday, May 7, 2012

The Crew's Collar tips for Stylish Hounds

I recently had an inquiry about more training tips with my crew. Specifically, do I train with collars and what types of collars do I use? This inquiry was a great one since they also asked "we seldom see your dogs in pics with collars, do they ever wear collars?"


Yes, to the first question. I use a different collar for different methods in training. It depends on the age and activity of the dog.

I start a young dog on a buckle collar, than at 12 weeks of age I fit them for a martingale. The martingale
provides more control over the animal without the choking effect. It is a great collar for training obedience, especially for a Canaan Dog who is notorious for being a "puller" on lead since they are very aware of their surroundings and some are VERY prey driven. The martingale provides a lose loop at the end of the collar which one can slip their finger in easily rather than the buckle that the dog can burst out of when pulling. However, if competing in performance trials, the dog is always on a buckle collar, which distracts from any correction. So, being trained on buckle collars is a must for anyone wanting to compete in a trial venue. My suggestion is to train in a variety of collars so your dog can get used to all the "flavours" of training that the collars provide.

I also love the stylish martingales They are practical, but are a bit bulkier, and way too gorgeous to use for everyday training. I pull them out for special occasions , like dinner parties where I just want the dogs to look a bit stylish.

And to the second question - my dogs are are also trained without collars since they have to be able to squeeze underneath cattle fencing in a lightning flash when needed to protect their herd from coyotes and perform cattle ranch chores. The barbed wire can snatch collars and tags so the dogs are also trained to work without a collar.

To accompany this inquiry, "the crew" had some fun modelling their different training collars, with some extra training fun in between. Training should always be a positive and rewarding experience between you and your dog - always end on a high note!


Stylish Martingales, Buckles,Training Martingales, and Tracking harnesses
This collar is VERY special - it was made for Rook's sire Macc. It is a bulky stylish Martingale collar and was used only  for special occasions. The fabric has a dragon design embedded in gold and purple. It is a practical collar but way too beautiful to be used for everday training. I am glad that it fits Macc's son Rook and he looks just as handsome and sporting as his daddy in this regal collar.



Macc's Stylish martingale which is now handed down to his son "Rook"



Miss Cybelle, who is"almost 7-yrs -old" is proud to model  her Stylish "dinner-party" Martingale collar that we bought her when she was 2 yrs of age. She still wears it well:-)




Cybelle's Stylish Martingale
Miss Ash models her "buckle collar" which I used on her for early training on leash walks - I like this collar because it is reflective on night walks. 
Miss Cybelle models her Martingale training collar with tag still intact. Notice the lower chain which sits low on the neck with the loop. This collar was the perfect one for a gal who was a big puller as a pup when it came to prey! For me, this still remains the ideal training collar for a Canaan Dog. 
Rook shows off his "Pirate buckle collar" with a howl when he hears the coyotes during this shot. This collar is getting a bit tight for him as he grows. I will be taking him to town soon to fit him for a new one. The buckle collar must be worn for trial events so I will need to get a new one soon. I fluctuate between using a buckle and martingale when training. 
Some fun training pics of my patient crew after their modelling shoots
Miss Ash performs "her leave the treats"after her collar modelling - is that a tiara on her head!

Cybelle performs her "leave it trick" after her collar modelling - almost looks like a piano keyboard - she does have this one down pat:-) 
This is a more advanced trick that I have been working on with the youngster in the crew. After some modelling with the martingale, I took it off and hung it on a post. The collar was also worn by his sire and now fits his son. I placed Rook's treat up on a post and asked him to leave it - watch below for what happens next.  
Good boy - he wants the treat but still obeys my leave it command.
He is sniffing and wanting that treat but still obeys my leave it command.
"Ok take it!" he was so patient and listening to my "leave it"command. He waited, and waited until I finally said "ok, you can take it!"I am looking forward to my journey with working this boy!
A collection of our training collars


 Miss Ash sporting her training harness for tracking a few months ago when training for urban tracking  - the harness is another tool for training - this harness is only used for tracking. When I bring the equipment out she literally stands and lowers her neck to slip into her tracking gear which signifies she is ready to work!

A fav pic of Miss "Cammie" getting used to her buckle collar at eight weeks of age from Macc X Ash 2010 Litter . It is always great to start collar training before a pup goes to their new home. 
And another fav pic - Master "Shylo" from our Macc X Remmie 2010 litter getting used to his buckle collar with his crew nannies Cybelle and Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...